1. On August 10, 2008, a series of explosions occurred at the Sunrise propane facility located in Toronto, Ontario.
2. The explosions caused massive fireballs to be released into the air and surrounding neighbourhood. The Toronto Police ordered a non-compulsory evacuation order of everyone within 1.6 kilometres of the Sunrise propane facility. As a result, approximately 12,500 residents were evacuated and widespread property damage and personal injury occurred.
3. Shortly after the explosions occurred, several proposed class actions were commenced. The law firms of Sutts, Strosberg LLP, Charney Lawyers, Stevensons LLP, Bogoroch & Associates, Flaherty Dow Elliott & McCarthy and Hotz Lawyers agreed to work cooperatively to prosecute this class action.
4. The defendants in this action are the individuals and companies who owned and operated the propane facility (“Sunrise Companies”), the companies which were the landlords of the propane facility (“Teskey Companies”), the Technical Standards and Safety Authority which regulates the operation of propane facilities in Ontario, and companies which manufactured or supplied parts for the equipment which were on site at the Sunrise propane facility. Click here to see a list of the defendants.
5. There have been many court appearances pertaining to the preservation of evidence, the order in which the issues in this lawsuit must be addressed, and other procedural matters. Some of the orders and decisions of the court are listed in the documents section of this website.
6. The certification motion was heard on May 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario by a judge of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. On July 23, 2012, this action was certified as a class action against all of the defendants, except against the Teskey Companies. Click here to review the notice of certification.
7. The certification motion against the Teskey Companies was adjourned and was continued on October 1 and 4, 2012. On November 20, 2012, this action was certified as a class action against the Teskey Companies. Click here to review the reasons of Justice Horkins on this motion.
8. The class definition approved by the court is:
all persons who were present or owned or leased or occupied properties located within the area of the City of Toronto bounded by Keele Street, Highway 401, Sheppard Avenue and Dufferin Street when a series of explosions occurred on August 10, 2008 at the propane facility located at 48/54/62 Murray Road in the City of Toronto, excluding the defendants and third parties and excluding the defendants’ and third parties’ officers, directors, servants, employees or agents.
9.The time to opt out of this class action has passed.
10. If you believe that you or someone on whose behalf you are making inquiries is a member of the class as defined above, please complete the registration here.
11. We will continue to update this website as developments occur.
12. If you would like to know more about how a class action works, click here.